Welcome to Saint Herman's, Hudson, Ohio

This blog is a partial compilation of the messages, texts, readings, and prayers from our small community. We pray that it will be used by our own people, to their edification. And if you happen by and are inclined to read, give the glory to God!

The blog title, "Will He Find Faith on the Earth?" is from Luke 18:8, the "Parable of the Persistent Widow." It overlays the icon of the Last Judgment, an historical event detailed in Matthew Chapter 25, for which we wait as we pray in the Nicean Creed.

We serve the Holy Orthodox cycle of services in contemporary English. Under the omophorion of His Eminence Metropolitan Joseph of the Bulgarian Patriarchal Diocese of the USA, Canada and Australia, we worship at 5107 Darrow Road in Hudson, Ohio (44236). If you are in the area, please join us for worship!

Regular services include:
Sunday Divine Liturgy 10AM (Sept 1 - May 31)
930AM (June 1 - Aug 31)
Vespers each Saturday 6PM

We pray that you might join us for as many of these services as possible! We are open, and we welcome inside the Church all visitors. See our Parish web page:

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Prayer of Contrite Repentance - St. Seraphim of Sarov

[St. Seraphim of Sarov encouraged those who were his spiritual children to pray this prayer in moments of despondency, to use it as an antidote to despair.]

Master and Lord of Heaven and Earth and King of the ages. deign to open the door of repentance to me, for in anguish of my heart I pray to You, our true God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Light of the world. Look upon me in Your great loving-kindness and accept my prayer. Incline Your ear to my prayer and forgive me all the evil that I have done by the abuse of my free will.

Behold, I seek rest, yet I do not find it, for I have not received forgiveness from my conscience. I thirst for peace, but there is no peace in me from the dark abyss of my transgressions. Hear, O Lord, a heart which cries to You. Regard not my evil deeds, but consider the agony of my soul and make haste to heal me who am badly wounded.

By the grace of Your love for Your people, give me time for repentance and deliver me from my shameful deeds, lest I finally perish. Hear me, O Lord, in my despair. Behold, I am bereft of my will and of every thought of amendment. Therefore, I have recourse to Your compassion. Have mercy on me, cast down and condemned on account of my sins.

O Lord, rescue me who am enslaved and held by my evil deeds, as if I were shackled with chains. You Alone know how to set prisoners free; and as You alone knows the secret things, You heal wounds that are known by no one, but seen by You. Therefore, being tortured in every way by cruel pains, I cry only to You, the Physician of all who are afflicted, the Door of those who knock without, the Way of the lost, the Light of those in darkness, the Redeemer of those in bonds, Who ever restrains Your right hand and withholds Your anger prepared for sinners, but Who gives time for repentance through Your great love for us.

You are quick to show mercy and slow to punish.  Therefore shine upon me, who have fallen badly, the light of Your countenance, O Lord. In Your loving-kindness stretch Your hand to me and raise me from the depth of my transgressions. For You alone are our God, Who does not rejoice at the destruction of sinners, and Who does not turn away Your face from those who cry to You with tears.

Hear, O Lord, the voice of Your servant who cries to You, and manifest Your light to me who am deprived of light, and give me Your grace, for I have no hope whatever, that I may always trust in Your help and power. Turn my weeping into joy, rend my rags and gird me with gladness. Grant that I may rest from my dark deeds and enjoy the morning calm with Your chosen, O Lord, whence all pain, sorrow and sighing have fled away. May the door of Your Kingdom be opened to me, that I may enter with those who rejoice in the light of Your countenance, O Lord, and that even I may receive eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. You can't share what does not belong to you.... Pray that it is edifying to those who read.

    ReplyDelete