Welcome to Saint Herman's, Hudson, Ohio

This blog is a partial compilation of the messages, texts, readings, and prayers from our small community. We pray that it will be used by our own people, to their edification. And if you happen by and are inclined to read, give the glory to God!

The blog title, "Will He Find Faith on the Earth?" is from Luke 18:8, the "Parable of the Persistent Widow." It overlays the icon of the Last Judgment, an historical event detailed in Matthew Chapter 25, for which we wait as we pray in the Nicean Creed.

We serve the Holy Orthodox cycle of services in contemporary English. Under the omophorion of His Eminence Metropolitan Joseph of the Bulgarian Patriarchal Diocese of the USA, Canada and Australia, we worship at 5107 Darrow Road in Hudson, Ohio (44236). If you are in the area, please join us for worship!

Regular services include:
Sunday Divine Liturgy 10AM (Sept 1 - May 31)
930AM (June 1 - Aug 31)
Vespers each Saturday 6PM

We pray that you might join us for as many of these services as possible! We are open, and we welcome inside the Church all visitors. See our Parish web page:

Monday, April 15, 2024

It's Not My Fault

 Isn’t it funny how human nature is so very predictable?  When we find ourselves guilty of something, we obfuscate, we deny, we cover.

Today (Mark 9:17-31) we find Jesus returning from Mount Tabor with Peter, James and John after He permits them to witness His Transfiguration.

But as they descend from the mountain, there is trouble brewing.  St. Mark records when He came to the disciples (the remaining nine), He saw a great multitude around them, and scribes disputing with them.  Jesus immediately rushes to the defense of His own and asks the scribes, What are you discussing with them? 

It is at this point that a man from the crowd speaks.  Teacher, I brought You my son, who has a mute spirit.  And wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth, and becomes rigid.  So I spoke with Your disciples, that they should cast it out, but they could not.”

There are so very many things wrong with what this man just said! 

First, he opens calling the Lord Teacher.  In this there is no recognition of authority over evil spirits.  Being taught something doesn’t heal.  Why does the man not go immediately to Lord if he intends to show such faith?

Next, I brought You my son.  Remember the healing of the servant of the Centurion?  There was faith that was commended by our Lord.  ‘You don’t need to come to my home.  I’m not worthy.  Just say the word….’  No, here the man complains.  ‘I brought You my son—YOU weren’t here, so I tried the next best thing, asking Your disciples to help, but…. they couldn’t.’  Notice, it’s now the fault of the disciples that his son hasn’t received miraculous healing.

What is our Lord’s response to this assignment of blame?

O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? 

The word translated ‘faithless’ is the Greek apistos, which carries a much stronger meaning than ‘just’ unbelieving—it goes to calling the man a heathen.

Having said all of this, Jesus does not send the man away unfulfilled.  Bring him to Me.

In the interplay that follows, the man still, however, displays less faith than we might expect if he hoped to achieve his initial goal of the healing of his son.  If You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.

There’s an important word we just used—compassion!  Mercy!  The cry of the man has finally become Lord, have mercy!

Jesus does not yet immediately heal, but instead attempts to coax more faith from one who seems to be withholding it.  If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.

There it is:  belief!  This is what’s missing.  Had this kind of belief been present when you came to My disciples, perhaps your plea could have been answered then.  How many times has Jesus said Your faith has made you well!? 

Now the man understands.  Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!

Suddenly Jesus is no longer “Teacher”, now Jesus is “Lord!”  Now there is no blame of anyone else.  Now there is recognition that my faith is not all it needs to be.  Now there is an understanding that You love me and want fully to give to me the heartfelt request made for my child.  Now I will stop blaming others.  Now I will take that blame on myself, and with the most sincere heart and spoken plea, ask the blessing of Your healing ME (Help MY unbelief!), so that my prayer for my son can and will be heard.

There’s a lesson in here for all of us.  He who has ears to hear, let him hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment